Friday, August 20, 2010

My computer is using 570 MB of ram when no browser or other appication is running. It gradually goes

I noticed my laptop used to use 200-300 MB of ram when idle, no programs running, now it's consistently over 500 MB all the time after fully starting up.



I have run McAffee and Windows Defender and Avast! and all report no problems. But this situation started about a week ago, and I am often now getting Windows virtual memory too low messages, and the speed of the computer is obviously slower.



I had McAffee alert me a week or so ago that there was malware virus detected, but that was deleted, I am pretty sure, since I personally clicked to delete it.



Let me know if anyone else is having problems like this or has found a solution. THANKS!



My computer is using 570 MB of ram when no browser or other appication is running. It gradually goes up?ktm



Turn off ''System Restore'' and then restart your PC and ''Boot to Safe Mode with Network Support.''



Next - go to the following websites and run a ''live'' virus scan.



http://housecall.trendmicro.com/



http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/



http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/...



Turning off the System Restore will let the online scanners remove anything hiding in the restore file. Just make sure you turn it back on again after you're done.



My computer is using 570 MB of ram when no browser or other appication is running. It gradually goes up?nortan



well you are looking in the right direction, what you need to do is right click on the taskbar and turn on taskmanager and look in the processes to show you where your ram is going if you have another pc you can contrast usage- 200+ is normal for windows files the rest will be applications that you can remove with msconfig. let us know where the rams going AFTER waiting 7-10 mins after you turn system on, as there is a lot of activity during that time.



another approach is to install PROCESS explorer thats an expanded version of taskmanager, it cleverly checks for digital signatures-, malware, virus`s are not digitally signed.

No comments:

Post a Comment